As a mother, I have had a very hard time with making sure that all of my children (excluding when they are babies) are buckled up when we are driving. Sometimes I will look to the back of the car to check on everyone and realize that we have almost reached our destination and a child was not buckled up. The children that I am talking about are my booster seat kids and over the shoulder car seat kids. In order to get them to buckle up, I have used reward cards, bribes, threats, pulling the car over, getting out and strapping them in, telling them to get out of the car if they don't buckle up and many more. Usually these things might work for a moment, but sometimes they don't. Of all of my children, my 4 year old Paige has struggled the most. I have been really trying to find a good answer so that I am not having a power struggle with Paige on a regular basis.
My answer came last Friday night. I was watching a movie with Bailey and Paige and the actress said something that peaked my interest. I decided to try a trick when I got in the car with Paige the next time to make sure that she buckles her seat belt. I felt that Monday would be a great start date. So, as we got in the car to head to preschool, I said, "Hey Paige, mommy has a new club that only exists in the car", she said, "What is it Mom?" I said, "it is called the SEAT BELT CLUB. In order to be in my club you have to have your seat belt on when we drive." I said, "look at Gannon he belongs to the club because he is buckled up and look at Mommy she belongs to the club too". She then said, "I want to be in the club". I said, "then let me hear that seat belt click". Without any further ado, she buckled that seat belt. Paige is now officially part of the SEAT BELT CLUB.
I can honestly tell you I have not had one battle with her about buckling up all week. I am so happy that kids want to belong to CLUBS! Hooray for the SEAT BELT CLUB.
5 comments:
I LOVE it! I'm going to remember this one!
That's awesome Beth! I love those special Mommy moments. I'll have to use that sometime.
this is GREAT!... revelation from above. :)
AWE-SOME!!!! And THAT, my friend, is why you are in the primary AND a ROCKIN' mom!!!
And I can attest that she loves the Seat belt club because on Sunday she was screaming (comming out of the car with matt) I want to belong to the Seat Belt Club!!!! I think she may have forgotten that time :)
Post a Comment