Thursday, October 21, 2010

Being a Mother!

I have been thinking about this post for the past 5 days. I realize with every child that I have, I really don't know much! For the last 4-5 weeks, Gannon has had a cold or ear infections. My nights have been long and a blur. Sometimes, I just sit on my bed or the couch holding him saying a little prayer that he will feel better and fall asleep so that I can fall asleep and wake up to be a good mom to my other 5 children.

Before, I had Gannon, I knew that this would be the last one for me, so I offered a simple prayer to Heavenly Father asking him to send me a baby that was calm, easy going, not needy, and rarely cried (you are probably laughing, thinking that I am crazy). Well, my prayer was answered in the reverse. My little Gannon is not calm, he is active, needy and cries a lot. Some of the people that come over and visit or see me out with him, think that I am making up that he cries a lot and is needy. They ask me if he is a good baby and I say yes, because I don't believe any baby is a bad baby, but he does cry a lot. They say, "oh he is so happy and calm I don't think he cries like you say". If one of my other kids are standing there, I say, "does Gannon cry a lot"? That child then says, yes!!!! It has been a growing 4 months. I love Gannon very much and I would never replace him for a calm baby. He is perfect for me. I am just thankful that Heavenly Father knows me better than I know myself. Being a MOTHER is a wonderful blessing!! I am just trying to absorb every day and learn from these experiences.
Gannon and I after his bath the other day. He loves to sit in the tub with Bailey and Paige! Warm water calms him down.

The other night the kids and I made sugar cookies and frosted them. Gannon sat in the Bumbo and sucked on his fist, because he could not eat a cookie.

My oldest child, Madalyn. Matt works many many hours and having her with me makes life easier. She is a huge help and loves her siblings. (Sometimes she does go nuts on them but I tell her that her best friends in life will be her siblings. She doesn't believe me, but it is true). I am so thankful that she is my first.

My boys who are full of life. Each one is so different but I have learned and continue to learn so much from them. The other day, Hayden and Carter knew that I hadn't slept much in the night. Hayden came in the room while Gannon was crying and picked him up and gently carried him out of the room so that I could have a few more minutes of sleep. Carter and Hayden sat in the living room playing with Gannon. The tender mercies of the Lord.

I put this silly picture of the girls. They wanted to pull sad faces for the camera. They are definitely not sad girls. They are very nurturing, thoughtful, kind, and creative. They have never been annoyed with Gannon. If he is screaming, Bailey and Paige will say, "Mom, Gannon needs you to feed him (even though I just fed him):). We called Bailey the baby whisperer for Gannon's first 3 months of life. She could calm him like no other.
There is no other calling/job that I would rather have!!

9 comments:

Taralyn said...

What a Beautiful Mother you are Beth!!! Your children are oh so very lucky to have you!!! I can not believe how much your one son (blonde) looks like Matthew in the photo!!! It takes me back that is for sure... Children certainly are a blessing and also create challenges so we as parents can grow and become better!!! I think You are a pretty great example of a Model Parent!!! <3

Cathy said...

Beth, you are incredible! It is a trial by fire that God gives to women with great potential. A woman who spends numerous nights with a crying baby and keeps going to keep the rest of her family on track could conquer the world. You are amazing.

Ashlee said...

Your kids are certainly blessed to have such an amazing mother!!!I have a friend that likes to say mothers in Zion get an automatic ticket to the celestial kingdom because of all the sacrifices they make for their family. I'm sure that's true in your case! Gannon is certainly a good looking kid! Can't wait to see him again!!

Wendy said...

I've asked that question lots of times. "Is he a good baby?" So silly. Of course he's a good baby. Of course, every baby that comes from heaven is good.

I'm sorry he cries a lot. But what wonderful helpers you have. I'm sorry you get no sleep. I have no bright side for that one.

I do know you are an amazing mom. Hang in there.

Jill said...

lovely post. you are a wonderful mother. thank you for sharing.

Liz said...

Oh...such a great post! :D Sorry he's crying... :( If you ever want a break...pass him on over! ;)

Carrie said...

:( I sooooooo wish I was there!

Amber said...

I love your honesty. You are an AMAZING mother, I hope to be as wonderful as you are. :)

Kelly said...

What a wonderful attitude you have and a great example! You have a beautiful family and I'd never know you were tired, you always look so great..